Tips For Keeping Fruits And Vegetables Fresh Longer
- February 18, 2018
- Health and Fitness
- No Comments
Purchasing fresh fruits and vegetables is a time-consuming task but storing them in such a way that they remain fresh for a long time is also difficult. There are different types of fruits and vegetables and for each type, you need to consider different things.
Following are a few tips that can help you keep fruits and vegetables fresh for a longer time:
- There are a lot of vegetables and fruits that produce ethylene gas when they start ripening. This gas can ripen other vegetables and fruits before time. So, it is preferable to keep away ethylene-sensitive foods away from foods that produce ethylene gas. Some of the ethylene sensitive foods include bananas, pears, mangoes, and avocados. You should keep these foods away from broccoli, apples, carrots as well as leafy greens.
- Always store onions, potatoes and tomatoes in a cool and dry place, but never store them in the fridge. Storing these vegetables in the fridge can ruin the flavour.
- Vegetables and fruits that are not ripe when bought should be kept on the counter. These fruits and vegetables include avocados, peaches, kiwis, plums apricots and so on. When they are ripe, transfer them to the refrigerator.
- Keep your fresh herbs and green vegetables in plastic bags but make sure these are sealed tightly.
- Citrus fruits like tangerines, lemons, limes and oranges can easily remain fresh in a dark and cool place. Make sure to keep them away from sunlight. If you want to keep them fresh for a longer time then store them in the refrigerator.
You can always get fresh fruit and vegetables by using same day grocery delivery Sydney service.